How Falling Down the Stairs Can Cause Devastating Injuries
Falling is usually scary, however, a fall down the stairs can be particularly terrifying. When you fall forward down a set of stairs, it is difficult—if not impossible—to catch yourself. As a result, these falls can result in devastating injuries. If you have been injured, contact a personal injury attorney right away.
Common Injuries Caused by a Fall Down the Stairs
The severity and nature of the injuries you suffer in a fall down the stairs will depend on many factors including how far you fell, whether the stairs were carpeted, whether the stairwell was enclosed, among others. Some of the most common stairway-related injuries can include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)1
- Neck & Back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Shattered or broken bones
- Deep contusions or lacerations
- Facial fractures
- Compound fractures in hands and wrists
- Sprains and strains
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
As you can see, many injuries can be extremely serious and can require a significant amount of medical treatment including emergency care, surgeries, hospitalizations, rehabilitative therapy, medications, home health care, medical equipment, and any other necessary treatments.
Negligence is Often Involved in Stairway Falls
Property owners have the duty to keep all parts of their premises reasonably safe for visitors and this includes all stairways. Unfortunately, many falls occur because property owners fail to meet this duty of care and keep their property in negligent condition. Some examples of negligence that lead to stair falls include the following:
- Having cracked or uneven stairs
- Not having adequate handrails
- Not having adequate lighting in stairwells
- Having stairs that are too steep or narrow
- Allowing loose or rotted stair boards
- Having worn carpet on stairs
- Wet or slippery surfaces
- Not warning visitors of possible hazards
Any of the above dangerous conditions can lead to a property owner being liable for the losses of a fall victim.
Call an Experienced Premises Liability Attorney in Cumming, Georgia for Help
If you believe a negligent property owner caused your injuries, you should call the law office of Spaulding Injury Law in Cumming, Georgia as soon as possible. Our experienced premises liability lawyers are here to help, so call for a free consultation at 770-744-0890 today.
When you become our client at Spaulding Injury Law, you’ll be represented by a thoroughly experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney like Theodore A. Spaulding. For over 15 years, Mr. Spaulding has helped victims of negligence across the state of Georgia resolve personal injury cases, and he’s received a remarkable number of awards and honors from the legal community recognizing his commitment to clients and to the metro-Atlanta area.
- Mr. Spaulding has been named one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in Georgia by the National Trial Lawyers for six successive years.
- He is honored as a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum ® by the Top Trial Lawyers in America ®.
- Charter Member of the Distinguished Justice Advocates.
- Member of the Atlanta Bar Association.