What TV Shows and Movies Are Based in Atlanta, Georgia?
Atlanta has been nicknamed the “Hollywood of the South.” Georgia has earned that name with its rise to the 3rd largest filming city in the country, only falling behind California and New York. In the past nine years, hundreds of movies and shows have been filmed in Atlanta, and that number continues to grow.
There are many reasons why the city of Atlanta is the home to mega talents, like Tyler Perry Studios and the television series The Walking Dead. Television shows and movies are filmed on location in Atlanta because of the convenience of the region. Atlanta is a global city with access to nearby coasts, mountains terrain, large cities, and rural areas, which is a production manager’s dream. The airport is massive, and it allows for easy travel into the area for the equipment, props, and extra staff who are needed on set to complete the scenes.
Perhaps the most important reason for the surge in popularity is money. Georgia has begun offering a 20% tax credit to companies on productions of $500,000 or more. If the company mentions Georgia in the logo, the tax credit jumps to 30%. This incentive is profitable for the entertainment industry and translates into billions of dollars in revenue for the state.
As we mentioned, Tyler Perry owns Tyler Perry Studios in the city of Atlanta. So, it should come as no surprise that his popular show, The Haves and The Have Nots was filmed in Atlanta. The Walking Dead television series also uses Tyler Perry Studios to film “The Kingdom Scenes” in its newest season released in 2017.
Some of Tyler Perry’s other movies that have been (or are being) filmed in Atlanta include:
- A Madea Halloween
- Madea Gets Pregnant (casting calls are out now for this upcoming movie)
- Madea’s Witness Protection
- Madea’s Family Reunion and
- Madea Simmons House
Of course, the list goes on and on.
Here are a few other movies and shows that have been filmed in Atlanta that you will recognize:
- Guardians of The Galaxy 2
- Spider-man Homecoming (coming this summer)
- Fast and Furious
- Jacob’s Ladder
- Stranger Things
- Captain America – Civil War
Right now, at least 69 shows are being filmed in Atlanta. This does not include all the sports shows that are continually being filmed and produced. Here are some of the great shows that are currently being filmed in the city.
- Queer Eye for The Straight Guy (Netflix)
- Black Ink – VH1
- The Paynes (A spin-off of The House of Payne’s) – OWN
- Growing Up Hip Hop Atlanta -WE tv
- Sharp Object – HBO miniseries
- Manhunt – Thriller from Discovery PR
The following shows are a sample from the list of shows that have been and continue to be successful and are being filmed in Atlanta.
- 60 Days In – A&E
- Leave It To Stevie – VH1
- Yours, Mine, and Ours – Bravo
- Star – Fox
- Ink Paper Scissors – BET
- Little Women Atlanta – Lifetime
- Your Worst Nightmare – ID
- Swamp Murders – ID
- Sleepy Hollow – Fox
The film industry is alive and well in Atlanta, and it is growing by leaps and bounds. This is a great city to visit if you are a television or movie lover, or you just want to catch a glimpse of a movie star or two. This makes “the Hollywood of the South” one of the best places to enjoy whether you live here or visiting for the first time.
When you become our client at Spaulding Injury Law, you’ll be represented by a thoroughly experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney like Theodore A. Spaulding. For over 15 years, Mr. Spaulding has helped victims of negligence across the state of Georgia resolve personal injury cases, and he’s received a remarkable number of awards and honors from the legal community recognizing his commitment to clients and to the metro-Atlanta area.
- Mr. Spaulding has been named one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in Georgia by the National Trial Lawyers for six successive years.
- He is honored as a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum ® by the Top Trial Lawyers in America ®.
- Charter Member of the Distinguished Justice Advocates.
- Member of the Atlanta Bar Association.