Dahlonega Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Pedestrian accidents are becoming prevalent in Dahlonega and throughout Georgia. It is reported that nearly a third of all fatal traffic accidents involve pedestrians. These accidents can alter a person’s life. It will also impact their families.
If you or a loved one are involved or injured in a pedestrian accident, you must speak to our Dahlonega pedestrian accident lawyer. We can help you review your legal options.
Liable Parties for Pedestrian Accidents
While many pedestrian accidents happen in crosswalks, some happen outside of them. Georgia allows pedestrians to cross the road without using a crosswalk. The one caveat is they must yield the right of way to approaching vehicles. This can sometimes lead to liability disputes if an accident occurs. Often, juries will say that the pedestrian caused or contributed to the collision when it happens outside of a crosswalk.
Drivers are required by state law to avoid hitting pedestrians. They should also be watchful for pedestrians who may be intoxicated, confused, or children when crossing the road. However, there may be certain areas where a driver might not be able to see or avoid pedestrians trying to cross, and in such cases, the driver may not be held liable for the accident. There are also other situations where drivers can be absolved of liability. Pedestrian accidents are often traumatic and complicated. If you have been involved in one, it is advisable to seek the services of a Dahlonega pedestrian accident lawyer who can assess your case and gather evidence to present to the insurance company or jury for a favorable settlement. Contact Ted Spaulding as soon as possible to get started.
Liability During Intersection Accidents
In the event of a pedestrian accident that happens in a crosswalk, liability may change slightly. The intersection is controlled by traffic lights, which are programmed to inform pedestrians and drivers when they can go or stop. Pedestrians have the right to cross when the traffic light shows the “walk” symbol. However, this system may not always function as intended. Pedestrians with disabilities and the elderly may need more time or assistance to cross, even with the “walk” signal. In some cases, a driver may have a green light while a pedestrian is still crossing. Nonetheless, this does not give the driver the right to enter the crosswalk.
On the other hand, some intersections do not have traffic control devices. In these instances, pedestrians have the right of way when they are on the crosswalk, regardless of whether it’s marked or not. However, pedestrians must not enter the crosswalk when it’s unreasonable for a vehicle to yield. These nuances can significantly impact liability. During an initial consultation with your Dahlonega pedestrian accident attorney, it’s crucial to be truthful and provide details.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The most common cause of pedestrian accidents is driver error. Motorists must obey traffic laws and help protect pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists from harm. When an entity breaches their duty and causes injuries, they are responsible for paying for losses. A negligent driver may generate a Dahlonega pedestrian accident due to the following:
- Speeding: speed limits are in place to keep everyone safe. When a vehicle travels too fast for conditions or over the speed of limit, stopping and avoiding pedestrians is more challenging. This may also make pedestrian injuries catastrophic. It can also result in death.
- Distracted driving: texting, talking on the phone, eating, drinking, and speaking to passengers are the most prevalent distractions. However, anything that takes the driver’s attention off the road is a dangerous distraction.
- Driving under the influence: drinking will alter a person’s reaction time. Driving requires a person’s full attention. With a slower reaction time and a fuzzy head, it is easy not to notice pedestrians crossing the street.
- Left-hand turns: one of the most dangerous areas for pedestrians is where cars make left turns. Even with traffic signals and right of way, turning drivers can be reckless. They may only be paying attention to oncoming traffic instead of pedestrians in crosswalks.
- Backup accidents can happen in parking lots or when pedestrians walk past a driveway. The driver backing up might not notice the person. These accidents are usually low-speed but can still cause devastating consequences.
- Failure to obey the law: running red lights, rolling through intersections, and failing to yield are ways a driver can ignore the law and cause an accident. Motorists should follow all laws and share the road with others.
Pedestrian accidents can happen in other ways. Discuss the details of your accident with our Dahlonegapedestrian accident attorney. We will determine the cause and who is responsible for the collision.
Recoverable Damages for Dahlonega Pedestrian Accidents
When a negligent person causes injury to a Dahlonega pedestrian, they could be liable for injuries and losses. The injury victim may receive monetary damages that cover economic and noneconomic losses. You could qualify for compensation for:
Medical bills can be a significant part of your injury claim. The more severe your injuries, the higher your medical treatment and bills will be. Some injuries may require ongoing medical care, so it’s essential to seek compensation that covers both current and future losses.
Injuries can be so severe that they prevent you from working, leading to a loss of income. Keep track of all the days you missed work and your pay stubs. If you develop a permanent condition that prevents you from working, you need an award that covers your future lost income.
Pedestrian accidents can cause severe emotional distress, leading to PTSD, anxiety, or depression. Victims may be able to recover compensation for mental anguish and other non-economic losses.
Other forms of compensation are also available depending on the circumstances of your accident. Get an evaluation from a Dahlonegapedestrian accident lawyer immediately.
You Are Our Top Priority After a Dahlonega Accident
The Dahlonega pedestrian accident attorney from Spaulding Injury Law helps victims rebuild their lives after an accident. If the crash is fatal, we will help surviving families recover compensation and get justice for losing their loved ones. While we cannot return them, we will work diligently to obtain payment for your losses. Speak to our Dahlonega pedestrian accident lawyer during an initial consultation.
Our Pedestrian Accident Office in Dahlonega
Spaulding Injury Law: Cumming Personal Injury & Car Accident Lawyer is located close to you, in Downtown Cumming near UFA Soccer Fields and Cumming Polo Golf & Country Club.
Cumming Personal Injury Lawyers located at 5860 Bond St, Cumming, GA 30040, United States.