Personal injury claims are complex legal matters that address losses caused by the negligence of others. For example, if you are injured by a distracted driver, you’ll file a personal injury claim in pursuit of the compensation necessary to reach your fullest recovery. Because these claims are challenging, having an experienced Lathemtown personal injury attorney in your corner is always in your best interest.
There are four basic elements that must be present in order to recover for your physical, financial, and emotional losses in a personal injury claim, including:
While many different kinds of accidents can end with personal injury claims, some of the most common include the following:
The matter of the other party’s fault is critical to your personal injury claim, but it’s important to understand that even if you share a portion of the responsibility, you are not barred from seeking compensation in Georgia. As long as you are deemed to be less than 50 percent responsible for the accident that leaves you injured, you can seek compensation for the percentage of responsibility assigned to the other party.
For example, if a drunk driver is determined to be 90 percent responsible for an accident that leaves you injured while you bear 10 percent of the fault, you can file a claim with the drunk driver’s insurance provider for 90 percent of the covered losses you experience. If your total damages equal $100,000, in other words, you can seek $90,000 in compensation, which is the total amount minus 10 percent.
The legal damages you incur as a result of someone else’s negligence can be immense, and they break down into several basic categories.
If the accident in question is a traffic crash, you will likely experience property damage to your vehicle.
The medical expenses you face may be ongoing and can include all the following:
You need to consider any medical treatment you will continue to need after your claim concludes. You cannot go back and ask for more funds, so if your injuries are serious enough to need ongoing care, you need to estimate the future medical expenses and include them in your claim.
While you are recovering from your physical injuries, you’re very likely to be off the job and face a decrease in earnings as a result. If your ability to advance your career or your overall earning potential is affected, you can expect the financial loss to be that much more significant.
The physical and emotional pain and suffering you experience as a result of being injured by someone else’s negligence can be especially challenging and should not be discounted. Victims of serious accidents can suffer PTSD-like symptoms that hamper recovery, including:
One of the most difficult aspects of these emotional consequences is that they can build a wall between the victim and their support system just when that support is needed most.
Generally, personal injury claims are filed with the at-fault party’s insurance provider, and while it’s true that covering claims like yours is what they’re specifically paid to do, you can count on the insurance company doing whatever it can to keep your settlement low. Insurance companies are, first and foremost, in the business of generating hefty profits, and low settlements play a primary role in the process. Be on the lookout for all the following tactics on the part of the insurance company:
Your claim will be unique to the circumstances involved, but there are steps that every claimant can take to help protect their rights and rightful compensation, including:
If you’ve been harmed by someone else’s negligence, the well-respected Lathemtown personal injury attorneys at Spaulding Injury Law recognize the gravity of your situation and are standing by to help. Your claim and your recovery are important, so please don’t put off contacting or calling us at 770-874-9746 for more information today.
Attorneys near your location are the best option. They will be familiar with the common accident risks and causes in Cumming, GA which can make it easier for them to identify liability for your injuries and losses.
Our firm is conveniently located near you. We have an at 5860 Bond St Cumming, GA 30040.
We have over 75+ Five Star Reviews from happy clients on Google.
5860 Bond St Cumming, GA 30040Phone: (470) 695-9950 GET DIRECTIONS