Drunk driving is illegal in Georgia. Despite the strict penalties for DUI, however, plenty of drivers still choose to drive even after they’ve had too much alcohol. It would be fine if the drunk driver just got arrested. The problem is that their actions could and usually do endanger the safety and lives of other road users. In fact, drunk drivers are responsible for thousands of motor vehicle crashes yearly in the U.S.
Our award-winning personal injury lawyers know the best way to go up against insurance companies because we used to work with them and use that experience to help you win.
Voted Among the Best Personal Injury Firms in Gwinnett County 6 Years in a Row by Gwinnett Magazine
Why Choose Us?
- Voted Among the Best Personal Injury Firms in Gwinnett County 6 Years in a Row by Gwinnett Magazine.
- Founder and lead trial attorney, Theodore Spaulding, and the entire team at Spaulding Injury law provide the utmost in customer service to and relentless effort for each of their clients which is why Mr. Spaulding and his team are considered among the best lawyers in Gwinnett County.
- As one of the top law firms in the area, we provide honest and aggressive legal representation and work to get you the maximum amount of compensation.
- Our award-winning law firm does not charge you for our legal services unless you are awarded compensation.
- A Lawrenceville GA personal injury attorney from our team reviews your case during a free consultation and then provides you with sound legal advice
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
If you or a loved one has been injured because of the negligent acts of another person in Lawrenceville, GA, it’s imperative that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. Some of our many practice areas include:
- Personal Injury
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Wrongful death
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Slip & Falls
- Back & Neck Injuries
- Brain Injuries
- Uber & Lyft Accidents
- MARTA Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Product Liability
- Boat Accidents
- Inadequate Security
The Dire Consequences of DUI Accidents
The potential consequences of DUI accidents could be harsh for drunk drivers. Depending on the circumstances of their DUI arrest, they could spend time in jail, pay hefty fines, and lose their driving privileges for a long time, among others. Unfortunately, in most cases, the consequences of DUI accidents are much more serious for the injured victims, which commonly face the following challenges:
EXPENSIVE MEDICAL EXPENSES
A lot of DUI accidents leave the injured victims with severe medical problems, in turn requiring them to pay massive treatment-related bills and lengthy hospital stays. This immediate medical care, along with long-term medical care (for more catastrophic injuries), is immensely costly, particularly when prescription medications, surgical treatments, doctor’s appointments, home care, etc., are factored into the overall cost.
REDUCED QUALITY OF LIFE
Many DUI accidents have changed the victims’ lives forever. They might be suffering from emotional distress, trauma from the accident, and other mental issues or be in constant suffering and pain. Although the nature of DUI accidents differs greatly, an injured victim’s quality of life typically changes for the worse.
It’s also common for DUI accident survivors to stop working for a long time so they can recover from their injuries. When some go back to work, however, they may find that they can’t possibly perform the same kind of work they used to do before the accident. This imposes serious financial hardship for the victims and the families that depend on their income.
How a Drunk Driving Attorney Can Help
Although car accident claims that revolve around negligence in the form of drunk driving seem straightforward, they tend to be quite challenging, and they often hinge on evidence. This is why working closely with a seasoned Lawrenceville drunk driving attorney is always well advised.
In your attorney’s efforts to build your strongest claim – in focused pursuit of your rights and rightful compensation – they will go about gathering all the available evidence, including:
- The police report
- Eyewitness testimony
- Physical evidence at the scene
- All available photos and videos, such as from surveillance cameras or bystanders at the scene
- Your testimony
Additionally, your attorney may hire an expert witness with the skill and knowledge to explain the physics of the accident and the other driver’s fault in the matter. Your attorney may also commission an accident recreation model to help demonstrate how the accident happened – in support of your claim.
HANDLING THE INSURANCE COMPANY
Your attorney will also communicate with the insurance company, ensuring that you won’t need to. The fact is that insurance reps are well trained in the practice of obtaining statements from claimants that go on to damage their own claims. Further, your attorney will engage in skillful negotiations with the insurance company in their efforts to obtain a just settlement that fairly addresses every category of your loss.
HELPING YOU MAKE THE RIGHT DECISIONS FOR YOU
If you’ve been injured by a drunk driver, your focus needs to be on your physical and emotional recovery while your attorney skillfully guides your claim forward. There are, however, some moves you should avoid, including making a statement to the insurance company mentioned above. Another tip is staying off social media – the insurance company scouts for posts that it can twist to damage claims and will be sure to watch your social media accounts.
BEING WELL PREPARED
While many drunk driving claims are settled out of court, your attorney will be well prepared to file a lawsuit and take yours to court in the event that the insurance company fails to treat your claim fairly or fails to engage in good faith practices.
Why Drunk Driving Accidents Cause Catastrophic Injuries
When someone gets injured in a DUI car accident, the damages and costs could be substantial. A drunk driving accident could be worse than the typical car accident since the driver doesn’t have any control of the vehicle, which could consequently cause catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), multiple bone fractures, spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, and even death. These injuries could result from:
- A drunk driver swerving or making abrupt turns that could run other road users off the roadway
- A drunk driver driving at an excessive speed, increasing the risk of more severe injuries in case of a crash
- A drunk driver entering a one-way road or driving on the wrong side of the road
It’s also crucial to note that minors are increasingly getting drunk and getting behind the wheel, which combined with bravado and inexperience, could cause hazardous conditions for other road users.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shares a wide range of sobering statistics related to drunk driving, including:
- In 2020, 11,654 people lost their lives in drunk driving accidents.
- The fatality rate in 2020 represents a 14 percent bump compared to the rate in 2019.
- In the United States, someone loses their life to drunk driving every 45 minutes.
- In 2020, more than 2,000 people lost their lives in alcohol-related traffic accidents in which the driver was under the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
While motorists are all well aware of the duty of care they owe others on the road and of the fact that driving while under the influence is not only dangerous but also illegal, too many continue to engage in this often-deadly practice.
Recoverable Damages in Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk driving injuries could result in different physical, financial, and emotional damages. Besides the medical expenses for treating the injuries, DUI accident victims can likewise claim other kinds of damages through a personal injury claim. Our Lawrenceville drunk driving accident lawyers can help you recover these compensatory damages:
- Injured victims could receive financial compensation for all their injury-related damages, including all past and future medical bills, property damage, disability, mental anguish, emotional distress, and/or pain and suffering.
- Lost earnings for the time the victim failed to go to work. This can likewise include future lost income or earning capacity since many victims find themselves unable to go back to work following the accident, particularly those who have physically demanding jobs.
- The families of victims who were killed in DUI accidents can seek wrongful death damages.
Furthermore, you might be able to obtain punitive damages from the at-fault driver if their actions were either intentional or extremely reckless. These damages are designed to penalize liable parties for actions that are flagrantly negligent, which are actions that are simply unacceptable. Getting drunk and then driving when you know that you are clearly drunk is a classic example of such actions, particularly when it injures another individual and/or their loved ones.
On the other hand, although it might seem like a DUI accident case would be clear-cut and straightforward, this isn’t always the case. Sadly, you cannot just assume that you’ll be fairly compensated for your injuries and losses just because the driver was found guilty of driving under the influence of alcohol. You’d be surprised at the lengths that insurance companies go to just to avoid paying out proper compensation amounts to injured victims.
Additionally, there might be other parties that could have contributed or caused the DUI accident, such as the driver’s employer, parent (for minor drivers), or an establishment that over-served the driver and allowed them to drive while intoxicated. These parties should also be held accountable for your losses.
Get In Touch with Top Lawrenceville Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers Today
Our experienced Lawrenceville drunk driving accident lawyers have personally witnessed the harmful and destructive effects of DUI accidents on the lives of injured victims and their loved ones. We can help ease the financial burden of your injuries and give you peace of mind by holding the at-fault parties liable for the DUI accident and recovering fair compensation for your damages.
Contact Spaulding Law Injury by contacting us online to set up your free case evaluation with one of our Lawrenceville drunk driving accident lawyers. If a drunk driving accident resulted in the death of a loved one, our top Lawrenceville drunk driving accident lawyers can likewise help you hold the at-fault driver liable for your loved one’s death and your losses through a wrongful death claim.
Spaulding Injury Law: Lawrenceville Personal Injury Lawyers is located at 223 Scenic Hwy S #202, Lawrenceville, GA 30046, United States.