How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Many people who are involved in car accidents hesitate to seek legal assistance as they are concerned about the associated costs. Their primary concern revolves around how much they’ll have to pay for legal services and whether they can afford it. However, no fixed or standard fee universally applies to hiring a car accident lawyer.
Most car accident lawyers typically operate under a contingency fee agreement, which allows clients to pay only if their case succeeds in securing compensation. Schedule a consultation with an attorney from the Spaulding Injury Law: Atlanta Personal Injury & Car Accident Lawyer to get a good idea of the legal costs of hiring a car accident lawyer.
How Does Contingency Fee Agreement Work in Georgia?
Contingency fee arrangement means clients don’t have to pay upfront for legal services. Instead, the attorney’s fees are contingent upon their success in obtaining compensation. This aligns the lawyer’s incentive with the client’s goal of securing a favorable outcome.
Here is how the process goes:
- Initial Free Consultation: Lawyers often offer an initial consultation at no cost. This meeting allows individuals to discuss their case with the attorney, understand their options, and evaluate whether the case is suitable for a contingency basis arrangement.
- Signing the Agreement: If both parties decide to proceed, a contingency fee agreement is signed. This contract states that the lawyer will only receive payment if they successfully obtain a settlement or win the case.
- Pursuing the Case: With the agreement in place, the attorney begins working on the case. They investigate, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent the client in legal proceedings.
- Resolution: If the attorney secures a settlement or wins the case in court, they receive a predetermined percentage of the compensation awarded to the client. If the case is not successful, the attorney doesn’t receive the fee, except for some court expenses.
- Reimbursement of Expenses: In addition to the attorney’s percentage, case-related expenses, such as court filing fees or expert witness fees, are typically reimbursed from the final settlement.
The Average Contingency Fees for Accident Lawyers
According to the American Bar Association, the car accident attorney cost falls between 33.3% and 40% of the total settlement. However, this contingency free percentage varies depending on the specific circumstances of each case.
Some attorneys offer a sliding scale for their contingency fees that provide flexibility to accommodate various client situations.
For instance, attorneys might consider whether the case resolves before filing a lawsuit when determining the exact percentage within the outlined range. Such a case may attract a third of the total settlement. However, when the case involves pursuing a personal injury lawsuit, there is need for more work and additional time. Such a case typically attracts around 40% of the settlement.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney for Free Consultation
If you’ve been worried about the potential costs of legal assistance for your car accident case, now’s the time to put those concerns to rest. You can hire a car accident attorney today on a contingency basis. Take the opportunity to discuss your case, understand your options, and gain clarity on the fee structure without any financial commitment. Contact us today to discuss your car accident lawyer’s cost for free.
More Content Related to Car Accidents in Atlanta
When you become our client at Spaulding Injury Law, you’ll be represented by a thoroughly experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney like Theodore A. Spaulding. For over 15 years, Mr. Spaulding has helped victims of negligence across the state of Georgia resolve personal injury cases, and he’s received a remarkable number of awards and honors from the legal community recognizing his commitment to clients and to the metro-Atlanta area.
- Mr. Spaulding has been named one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in Georgia by the National Trial Lawyers for six successive years.
- He is honored as a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum ® by the Top Trial Lawyers in America ®.
- Charter Member of the Distinguished Justice Advocates.
- Member of the Atlanta Bar Association.